Skip to content
- United Nations celebrates World Chess Day globally on 20 July every year.
- World Chess Day day marks the date of
the establishment of the International Chess Federation (FIDE) in Paris
in 1924. It also provides an important platform to foster, dialogue,
solidarity and culture of peace along with recognizing the instrumental
role played by the FIDE in supporting international cooperation for
chess activity and aiming to improve friendly harmony among all peoples
of the world.
- To celebrate the International Chess
Day 2020 top chess personalities will participate in a high-level
virtual event “Chess for Recovering Better”.
- Chess is one of the most ancient,
intellectual and cultural games which encourages fairness, inclusion and
mutual respect, and noting in this regard that it can contribute to an
atmosphere of tolerance and understanding among peoples and nations.
- Secretary-General of United Nations: António Guterres.
- President of International Chess Federation (FIDE): Arkady Dvorkovich.